Meet Our Truck
April 2006 to May 2007
When Chevrolet agreed to support our Trans-Americas Journey by providing a Silverado 1500 for us to travel in, we were thrilled. After all, what is a road trip without a vehicle? Unfortunately, economic realities and an executive shakeup combined to end the partnership after 12 months and almost 50,000 miles through the US and Canada.
Silverado #2: The Red Baron
September 2007 to Present
We could have replaced our Silverado with any other truck on the market and we honestly considered other options. However, our satisfaction with the performance and comfort of our first Silverado convinced us to stay with the truck that had served us so well–even though now we would have to pay for one ourselves, an unexpected expenditure that our Trans-Americas Journey budget was hard pressed to accommodate. Kathleen Ryan and Judy Schumacher, owner of Schumacher Chevy in Little Falls, New Jersey, believed in our little road trip and tirelessly worked to find the model we needed (a 2007 Classic 2500 diesel) and gave us a very generous discount. We can’t thank them enough for getting us back on the road.
2007 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Classic (3/4 ton) Crew Cab
- Duramax diesel 6.6l V8 Turbo (LBZ)
- Horsepower – 360 bhp @3200 rpm
- Torque – 650 lb·ft @1600 rpm
- 6-Speed Automatic Allison Transmission
- 4 wheel drive
- Rear axle – 3.73 Ratio
- Heavy duty suspension & trailering package
- GVW rating 9200 lbs.
- 265/75/R16E tires with 16” polished aluminum wheels
- BF Goodrich – All-Terrain T/A KO tires
- Pacific Performance Engineering – Performance Transmission Cooler
- AMSOIL – By-pass oil filter system
- Injen – Power-Flow Air Intake System
- Bilstein – Monotube gas pressure shock
- Rare Parts – Tie Rods
- Energy Suspension – Hyper-Flex Suspension Bushings
- Timbren – Suspension Enhancement System
- Optima – Red Top Batteries
- Transfer Flow – Auxilliary 30 gallon in-bed fuel tank
- Mile Marker – 12,000 lb. winch & Xtreme Mounting System
- PIAA – High-intensity lights and bulbs, including 580 Series Auxiliary Driving Lamps, P4000 Series Driving/Fog Lamps (VSK) & 1500 Auxiliary Reverse Lamps
- Weather Guard – Steel Underbed Box
Our Custom Cargo Box
With a brand new Silverado squared away, we turned our attention to finding a metal worker who could create a custom lockable cargo storage system for the bed of the truck. It wasn’t easy, but we finally found Marvin Possinger who improved on our design and made it a reality.